Happy New Year

January 4, 2010

New year was stranger than I could have imagined.  I didn’t feel like drinking, but thought I’d better make an effort to fit in so behaved as if I had for most of the evening (up until the point that Anna, who couldn’t remember phoning the taxi 2 minutes earlier, said to mum ‘give me your car keys, I’ll drive us home’  when I decided that one of us needed to start acting sober and I was the only one who could pull it off… ).

The meal at Jan’s was delicious, and included another first – Ostrich steaks.  They are nice.  Just before midnight (spain time) we were given 12 grapes each and a party bag containing very silly hats, masks etc. which we all dutifully wore while posing for photos (see Facebook for evidence) and then we went round saying Happy New Year to everyone.  This involved a LOT of kissing, dutch and belgians kiss 3 times, the Germans twice.  Only at this point did we realize that the table behind us were Germans and the next table were Dutch.  We had been having a rather a loud discussion about the war during dinner.  Anna, being drunk, immediately started doing Basil Fawlty ‘Don’t mention the War’ impressions .  At no point did anyone vocalise ‘2 world wars and one world cup’  but I am sure I heard my mum sing do-dah, do-dah at least once.

We then had a glass of champagne with cassis in it ( I did drink that, it was yummy) and then Anna and I decided to do a bit of impromptu singing and dancing along to the CD…  I also introduced Anna and Jan to the game ‘would you still be my friend if I danced like this…’ with hilarious results

The bar crawl that mum had prophesied turned out to be more of  a bar ‘stumble round the corner to the bar and then stay there’.  It was interesting.  Yet again Anna and I were the youngest in there by miles, and for any song written after about 1970 we were the only ones dancing.  Our word-for-word interpretation of  ‘In the Jungle the Mighty jungle the lion sleeps’ was first class even if I do say so myself!  We then had to do the whole ‘Happy New Year’ thing AGAIN at 1 am as the British pensioners in the bar refused to believe it was really New Year until Big Ben had struck 12.  After that there was nothing to do but carry on dancing…  I probably should be more embarrassed than I am really, but I doubt I’ll meet most of those people again, and I doubt that they would remember much of the evening even if I do!

We left at about 3 am and got a taxi home.  Anna and Mum don’t remember that…

New Years day was late starting.  Anna made a delicious roast dinner for about 5 pm, I got dressed at 4.30 but everyone else ate in their pyjamas!  I then taught them to play the Peruvian dice game which they liked.  Then other games came out – Pass the Pigs, Pass the Bomb and Therapy.  I tried to go to bed, but gave up as I heard them starting to play Therapy at 2 am so I went to join in.  For those of you who haven’t played therapy it is a bit like Triv – you go round a board, answering questions to get pegs, but the questions are all psychology/sociology questions about different stages of life, and you can end up in another player’s ‘Therapy office’ where they try to ‘cure’ you by asking questions such as ‘on a rating scale of 1 to 10 how stubborn are you?’  then trying to guess what you have put.  If your answers don’t match you have to stay in therapy.  Jan was asked how romantic he thought he was, he put 8, Anna had put him down as 4.  There was a small,  but significant, argument at this point.  It is a game that invites them really!

Yesterday mum spent the day in the house in her pyjamas playing on her DS.  I got bored at 4 ish and walked in and out of Albir along the coast for some exercise.  I don’t think I would ever get tired of that walk, the scenery is just beautiful! I got back at 8 and went out for a pizza with Anna, packed and got ready to leave for Portugal.

I’m still not sure exactly how I am getting to Portugal.  I’m hoping that tomorrow I can sort this out!  I spent a LONG time on trains today, first the tram from Altea to Alicante, then a long distance train from Alicante to Madrid (with a film in Spanish… Apparently in English it is 4 Christmases – the Spanish title was NOTHING like that. I did follow most of it though.  Not sure it was worth the effort, maybe it’s funnier in English), then an hour in Madrid and another train from Madrid to Salamanca.  I arrived in Salamanca at 8pm having left the house at 8 am.  I have found a quite nice hotel though (and they have free WiFi which I can get in my room 🙂 ).  I really need a lot of sleep now and then a good day wandering aimlessly and eating a lot tomorrow…  I hope sorting out getting to Portugal is easy, I fear it won’t be…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: